It isn't Crysis or Just Cause 2 yet, but my terrain rendering system is coming along nicely.
Here is a flyover video. Any stuttering in the video is from the capture and encoding process - it runs butter-smooth.
Techniques I'm currently using:
- Terrain generation with L3DT.
- Skybox rendered with Terragen and cube-maped with AMD CupeMapGen.
- Texture splatting for landscape detailing.
- Water shading based on a modified version of Kyle Hayward's water component with the addition of variable water transparency depending on water depth.
- Bloom and Lens Flare based on Microsoft's XNA samples.
- Simple terrain Level-Of-Detail system. It currently works at a whole-island level - I'll likely have to move to a more complicated approach.